The museum took a special interest in Aboriginal artefacts. In April 1846 the committee asked the Honourable Secretary, George Alexander Gilbert, to write to the Chief Protector of Aboriginals, through His Honour the Superintendent, for a collection of native weapons to be given and attached to the museum for preservation.
Letter from George Alexander Gilbert to His Honour the Superintendent
Courtesy of the Public Records Office Victoria
In May 1847, the General Committee minutes noted that Mr. Robinson, the Chief Protector, donated two spears, one reed, one paddle, one leangle and one bone instrument.